* I’m not sure I’ve ever written a post in point form before, but I think today’s the day.
* It’s raining for the first time in what feels like weeks. I don’t mind. I got the washing off the line in time, and now the frangipanis are getting a soak.
* I like running in the rain, even though my sunglasses fog.
* I’m still mulling over last night’s book club. It was intense, and I’ve just received an email from the hostess apologising for hurting and/or offending me. She did neither. In fact, I had a great night, but it’s true there’s awkwardness and misunderstanding around my lack of children as against every other member’s on-going experience of motherhood. These experiences are all unique, but even so I think maybe they feel they ganged up on me as The Mothers last night. I don’t feel that way myself, and I am not easily offended. I’m rather more easily hurt, but again, no bruises in sight. I think things become distilled in potentially explosive ways because of the nature of these short-burst catch-ups; in general life’s not nearly so fraught. I hope no one else is worrying about this – I was surprised the hostess felt troubled enough to send me an apology.
* I’m really much more concerned about my friend S. She’s walked into a hard time she doesn’t deserve, and I feel helpless and upset about it. She is deeply fabulous.
* I ate a box of Cheezels yesterday. And by that I mean I ate the whole box. I don’t quite know how it happened. I just kept putting Cheezel rings on all ten fingers like highly processed Crown Jewels and then chomped my way through them until the box was empty. Afterwards I felt revolting and ill, but I had a shamefully good time sucking residual cheesy preservatives off my fingers.
* We saw an owl last night, sitting outside the hostess’s lounge room perched regally atop a towering cactus. He had whiskers, and our rushing over to the window to admire him seemed to really cramp his style. Old Man Owl ignored us. I love owls, so after yesterday’s whale, I really felt nature was putting on a bit of a show.
* I heard a great expression at book club last night. “Uni Dabbler” – one who experiments sexually during the wild years of undergraduate study. I’d never heard it before. I love it. It reminds me of “Bobby Dazzler.”
* The new Mr. Rose catalogue for spring-summer 09-10 arrived today. I am madly coveting everything. It’s all gorgeous.
* My fingers and toes are tightly crossed for my friend T. If I prayed, I’d pray now.
* Darkling JB has WON a national writing award AND been picked up by Australia’s BIGGEST literary agency and we are BURSTING with excitement and pride. Incredibly, we’re all going to be able to celebrate in person because she and Jenny fly into Sydney tomorrow and the Darkling writing retreat begins. I see several toasts in our immediate future.
* Sometimes I feel I am travelling in reverse.